A Mexican breakfast dish prepared with two sunny-side up eggs on fried tortillas covered in a spicy tomato salsa
Upload recipe photo
Please rate it
Preparation Time : 10-15 mins
Cooking Time : 15-20 mins
3 Roma tomatoes
1 serrano chile
1/4 medium white onion
1 clove of garlic
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup cooking oil + 1 tablespoon
2 or 3 tablespoons of water
4 corn tortillas
Salt to taste
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, onion, garlic and serrano chile.
- Add to your blender jar.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon thyme to the blender jar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Blend until smooth. About 1 minute.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a saucepan to hot.
- Carefully, pour the contents of the blender into the saucepan with the hot oil. (Be careful, the liquid tends to spatter.)
- Simmer for about 10 minutes until the salsa is deep red in color and has thickened slightly.
- Salt to taste.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cooking oil into a medium sized frying pan. The oil should be about 1/4 inch deep.
- Heat the oil to medium hot.
- Place the tortillas in the oil and fry for about 20 seconds on both sides. Fry them one at a time. Don't allow the tortilla to harden.
- Drain the tortillas of excess oil and set aside.
- SUNNY SIDE UP EGGS
- Use the same cooking oil that you used to fry the tortillas to cook the eggs. Maintain the oil medium hot.
- Add two eggs to the hot oil and slightly tilt the pan to one side so that the eggs set closely together.
- Cook until the whites are just cooked through and the yolks are still runny.
- Place 2 tortillas on your serving plate and add a good sized spoonful of refried beans.
- Gently place the eggs on the tortillas.
- Spoon the warm spicy tomato salsa over the eggs.
- Garnish the beans with 3 tortilla chips.
If you use different ingredients than the ones used in this recipe or use alternate method, please click Here to post your variation.